The Program aspires to develop a series of integrated educational experiences, focused on the professional formation of a teacher of excellence. That is to say, that the teacher will contribute to the educational scenario with his professional competencies of knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to promote changes and answers adapted to the educational environment. Primarily, the Program aims to prepare a teacher, who is knowledgeable of the problems of education in Puerto Rico and in other countries, in such a way that he will be able to collaborate in the process of constructive changes that will improve his quality of life and that of others.
The Program is directed to the formation of teachers within a curriculum that provides an accumulation of articulated experiences which, at the same time, provides space for the construction of the pedagogical knowledge and content that will develop the future teacher. These experiences will be characterized by continuous reflection, practice in real scenarios, research, collaboration, relevance of the contents, pedagogical modeling and the search and use of means that will provide solutions to the typical problems of the teaching-learning processes in different contexts. In this curriculum the components of the general education, core and major courses will be integrated.
In harmony with the vision and the mission for the TEP, the following goals, in coherence with the profile of competencies of graduates of the Program, are established.
- Develop educational professionals focused on the mastery of the knowledge of the discipline within the context of a scientific, pedagogical and humanist culture.
- Promote research, the management of information and the use of technology as means to generate the production and construction of knowledge that will result in the improvement of pedagogical practice within the education system.
- Develop education professionals, who are sensitive to the needs and interests of the diverse social groups that exist in the population, within a context of human transformation.
- Promote the solution of problem related to the educational environment within the frame of ethical, legal and social responsibility that regulates the profession.
- Develop educational leaders committed to their professional development as a means to promote a better pedagogical practice and, therefore, a better quality of life within the context of a culture of peace.
The Program aims to achieve the following general objectives:
- Apply, in an integrated manner, theoretical and methodological knowledge to the pedagogical practice in the educational scenario.
- Use research, the sources of information and technological advances on which to base the development of educational innovations.
- Show an attitude of acceptance and sensitivity to the educational needs and interests presented by the diverse student populations.
- Apply the ethical, legal and social dimensions in the processes of problem solving and decision making related to the practice of the profession in the different educational scenarios.
- Show commitment to the continuous improvement of the required professional competencies in the field of education.